Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: altec 9846-8A

  1. #1
    Inactive Member rett321's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 21st, 2006
    Posts
    2
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    hello! i`m the owner of a pair of altec 9846-8A speakers in excellent condition! can anybody tell me how much i would get if I would sell them?!

    thanks

  2. #2
    Inactive Member rett321's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 21st, 2006
    Posts
    2
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    no idea?!

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member
    altec 9846-8A


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Post

    C'mon this is NOT a drive thru window. All of us do things besides this board. It would be polite to give it a few days. What is the most impotant thing in the world to you isn't to anyone else.

    That said, anything like this is worth what you can get someboby to pay you for it. I have seen them typically in the $450-$600 US range on Ebay.

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member Art J.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    August 1st, 2004
    Location
    Connecticut USA
    Posts
    238
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Post

    I will never know what mine are worth.
    My middle daughter insisted that I Will them to her for her house.
    I have to be careful that she doesn't kill me.

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member
    altec 9846-8A


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Post

    LOL- my daughter settled for my old Strat. She does a competent job with it too.

    Actually I'm glad she wanted it. It's in the hands of someone who appreciates it.

  6. #6
    Inactive Member mark@studioconstruction's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 28th, 2004
    Posts
    4
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    $400 to $500? Man, I am a dinosaur....

    My new 802 diaphams were $150, and my electronic crossover was $500 (after calibration), with no thoughts of Ebay.

    Each to his own,

    Mark

  7. #7
    Senior Hostboard Member
    altec 9846-8A


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by mwenner:
    $400 to $500? Man, I am a dinosaur....

    My new 802 diaphams were $150, and my electronic crossover was $500 (after calibration), with no thoughts of Ebay.

    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Bear in mind that there is gonna be another $150 or so in shipping. That will mean about $600-800 delivered.

    Just about it for that series of speaker. As I also said, it's typical. I have seen them go higher. And lower.

    Bought a very similar pair for $250 a couple years ago. Not on Ebay.

    The hot Altec items are the better 604's.

    288G drivers are extremely valuable. I have seen them bring $1300-1600 per pair. And of course, sometimes less.

    Ebay is a funny place. I get rid of a lot of old stuff there. I have listed items twice with no bids, only to get 3 guys fighting over it the third time. It just depends on who is there that week.

  8. #8
    Inactive Member grasshopper's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 28th, 2006
    Posts
    24
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Take no offense but I find it amazing how someone can figure out how to find this site- sign up and make a post- yet for some reason they cannot search completed items on ebay to determine the street value of something (??)

    I only have 9844's and I'm dumping over a grand just to revive them! Sell 'em? Not anytime soon...

  9. #9
    Senior Hostboard Member
    altec 9846-8A


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by grasshopper:
    I only have 9844's and I'm dumping over a grand just to revive them! Sell 'em? Not anytime soon...
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I'm really curious and no offense intended- but how are you spending that much? I added up reconing the bass drivers, new diapragms, and recapping the crossovers. It came to quite a bit less. And that is a major rebuild, not just reviving.

  10. #10
    Inactive Member grasshopper's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 28th, 2006
    Posts
    24
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Hi OLD GUY,

    I'm kinda new to vintage Altec, but I'm already in love.

    I set out looking for a great set of home theater speakers and an audio buddy suggested these. I gave them a shot and I was floored. There is more potential in these things than most current offerings have on full tilt. I think they are more than capable of mopping the floor with speakers costing around the $3K mark so I don't even hesitate to spend an extra $1K in an effort to help them reach that potential. I should also mention that I have four (two pairs of) 9844's. You are definately right- it is more of a 'rebuild' rather than a 'revive'. I'm knee deep in the first pairs' cabinet rebuild. I'm keeping everything to original specs (internal dimensions, etc) but I'm just making the cabs thicker and more inert. The new cabs will be maple veneered with maple 1/4 round edges. Also- new crossover components (again same original specs- just new components). New terminals, etc...

    The only gripes I have with the original design is that it doesn't handle much power. Granted they were never intended to. The old cabinets easily flex and color the sound too much. Also, that 811-B horn starts to ring out like a church bell when things begin moving around in there. That's really the only MAJOR flaw in my opinion. The drivers, however, seem more than capable of extra juice.

    My goal is to make a few careful conservative tweaks without destroying the wonderful relationship the drivers have. I hope it works. If not- I can always throw it back into the old cab/crossover combo and just turn the volume down a bit. They are lovely for home theater and never fatigue my ears.

    Sorry if I came off sounding like an *** - not my intention. Also, sorry to hijack the thread. I'm just a bit enthusiastic about them...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28236960 times.